Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Janet Evanovich "Stephanie Plum"


So I went down to see my brother and sister in law in Colorado, and while I was there we decided to go to a used book store. Needless to say I bought a lot of books while I was down there; more than was probably necessary. In the book store I noticed there was a large section of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich that have become really popular. They actually just made a movie of the first novel "One For the Money." I liked the movie, I thought it was really fun and entertaining. I decided that I would buy a few of the books in the series (I think there are about 18 now) and see how I liked them. I have been desperate for an easy "escape-my-own-world" read because lately I have been reading a lot of nonfiction. The reason for reading the nonfiction is because I have been really disappointed in fiction novels lately. I think I have already mentioned that in a past post.

Anyways, I read the first three novels of this series. My analysis: they were fine. They have quite a fan base. The lady at the bookstore said "she loved the books and I will be obsessed with them as well." I am not really taken with these books. If you are looking for a mindless quick read, then you would probably like them.

I think that the story line itself is really fun. Lingerie salesgirl turned bounty hunter, hired to take down some scary criminals. I love that story. It has the mystery crime drama element that is always intriguing to the reader. I like crime dramas because I like to try and guess the ending before it actually occurs. At the same time, it was definitely a chick flick in novel form. Meaning it wasn't quite as serious as a crime drama novel. It was also more predictable.

Yet, there was a lot of unnecessary language, and sexual innuendos that I did not appreciate. To be honest, I don't really care for Plum's character. I don't think that I will be reading all 18 or 19 or how ever many novels there are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment